Tuesday, December 25, 2007

vacuum

So my son likes to vacuum. This rather unhealthy obsession with the vacuum started several months ago when Matthew found an empty cardboard roll that was the inside of a roll of wrapping paper and began pretending it was a vacuum cleaner. We thought it was really cute and imaginative of him, so we applauded his creativity and encouraged the play.
Within a few days, he started visiting our vacuum cleaner that we keep in the utility room. He would periodically stop playing and run in the back room and point at the vacuum and laugh. Everytime we would vacuum, he would just laugh and smile and chase the vacuum, then he began to want to hold the vacuum, and eventually we just gave in and let him actually vacuum.
Now he can say vacuum like "va-youm". He says it a lot.
For Christmas, Santa (My mother) gave him the best present any little boy could ask for. His very own shiny new candy apple red dirt devil pretend vacuum cleaner with upright and hand-held options and a detachable hose for cleaning those hard to reach areas.
It makes noise and everything.
So there we all were Christmas morning sitting around the tree, I, as always, with my trusty video camera on and running to tape Matthew's reaction to all the presents Santa had left for him. He was timid and tentative at first and shyly walked up to the tree, looking at the toys. He gasped several times asking "what's that" pointing at the toys. Then he saw it...
He grabbed that vacuum so fast saying "va youm, va youm" All day long. Va youm.
We tried to show him the rest of his toys. He scoffed at them.
After 2 hours of Va youm, he did attend to the etch a sketch for 3 minutes with his right hand refusing to relinquish his trusty va youm with the other.
This is still happening.
I called my mother Christmas afternoon to tell her what she has done. She laughed.
I put Matthew on the phone with her so she could hear the constant "va youm". She laughed some more.
He is really cute with his va youm and now I'll have black mail pictures for the rest of his life.

2 comments:

Johnny Walker said...

LMAO!!!! This is so funny, I printed it for mom, as she seems to believe the internet is the devil. Her response to the world wide web is about the same as was grandma's when we put that evil contraption in her kitchen... who ever heard of cooking something in less than 2 minutes. What kind of trickery is this micorwave?

Of course when I showed her that she can simulate marble with acid stained concrete, she couldn't get enough, and actually scrolled through the photo gallery on the website by herself. You go, BAH!

So now it is the snow, or should I say "oh no", blower that has captured Matthew's attention? I am sure Christopher has breathed a sigh of relief. Just wait until Matthew gets in to mommy's make up and "colors" Liam. 5 will getcha 10 it happens by year's end.

FYI: I have resumed my long standing friendship with Stephanie NOrton, now Wexler, as she has left Richard. She lives in Covington, and we visit quite frequently. Old friends are warm places. I had forgotten how much I missed that.

Susie just announced there is a big bug on the steps, and apparently is urging me to do something about this. I must go address the pest. Will talk later. Love you all,

Roni

Elaine said...

Hi K & C
Well they are just beautiful...Congradulations I think William looks more like you Keleigh and Matthew is still a picture of Chris..Hope you guys are doing well we haven't seen you in a while - too long - The boys are growing up so quickly but they are just adorable. Hope to see you guys soon. Elaine